Sunday, August 26, 2007

Being John Malkovich

When I first heard the name, I had a mis-impression that it would be more like a biography film on the actor John Malkovich, who would have lived a strange or special life and this movie would cover that. But this movie, was really about "being" John Malkovich. And it is not one but many being John Malkovich.

The main poster (or the punchline at the bottom) says it all:


I don't know which genre would best descibe the movie. Drama yes. Sci-fi - people might disagree but I think it is a subtler sci-fi than the likes of Star Wars and others who have crazily dressed people and out-of-the-world guns and instruments (no offence!). This is imagination which feels plausible at the psychological level. I would like to call it bio-psy-fi.

The movie is centred around three characters, one of whom (a talented and unsuccessful puppeter) finds a secret portal which leads into the mind of John Malkovich, from where one can peep into, involve into John Malkovich and also compell John Malkovich into doing something - for 15 minutes. The wife of this one discovers herself to be transexual when she has peeped into Malkovich. The third one directly meets and indulges with Malkowich. And with the wife.

What turns out is a total mess of which the biggest victim is John Malkovich, the puppet, himself. There are other suspenses and twists-n-turns in the movie, but I better don't disclose them.

The story writer is none another than Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind and Adaptation fame: John Kaufman. He is fast becoming one of the idols for me and I am definitely going to buy Adaptation. As for rest, the characters and performances don't need any mention. Í couldn't recognize Cameron Diaz first and I hadn't seen Catherine Keener before (am telling myself, "Zindagi barbaad hai meri, abhi tak Catherine Keener ko nahin dekha tha" :-P). And I hadn't seen John Malkovich too before. His performance too was stunning.

The best part of the story is the end. I must admit that I had misunderstood the end a little before I got it clarified from the internet. But anyways, all my top favourites have something about the end - drama, beauty, tragedy, shock etc. - but of a higher level. But this is one movie, that has in its end - happiness (for the girls), , drama (all), comedy (on end result), tragedy (for man) and beyond all - wonder (for all the occupants and subsequent vessel).

Sorry but not more disclosures but I recommend all to watch it. There is a lot of adult talk and little adult stuff in the movie and if that is not a barrier, it is a movie worth watching (unless you don't like or appreciate complex movies).

After all, some movie, after long, has finally managed to surpass my favourites (the likes of Life is Beautiful, American Beauty, Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind, Amadeus and The Matrix) and emerge as the top favourite on the list.

1 comment:

Simon said...

thanks for the reminder of that great movie! the dvd is standing in my rack. i think i'll watch it this evening...