Friday, February 17, 2006

Whats booze good for?

Just returning from our Batch daaru Treat. And well, I was the alone non-drinker and thus am still in a condition to write something.
Everyone was taken into non-stop laughter mania by Singhania's performance. Don't know what affected him like that but even people like Dopa and Jaini couldn't stand before him even once, leave alone the scapegoats Daga and Manav. I couldn't even have imagined that beer and the so-called 'joint' can take someone to that stage. Hehe...now I understand the Dum maaro dum, Mit Jaaye gam stuff. The party o/w too was a hit and I believe that everyone who came enjoyed. However, some other issues - some light and other serious left me thinking even after the treat at 4 am in the morning (and I am still sane :-P).
First of all, I have apologies for my classmates (especially Avinash) who really wanted me to participate in the daaru treat and I denied them till the end. I know that it breaks heart and more so of a drunken man (hehe) and I am really sorry for that but there are things where I really can't compromise. And I never understand this compulsion of literal daaru participation. I mean it all boils down to participating in the fun which I was really able to do (accepting the fact that one doesn't fully open before 20 people w/o daaru but then there are other priorities in life as well).
Another arbitrary thing worth noticing was the way some people were serving and pushing daaru (many a times neat) into other people, while maintaining mild and small doses for themselves. The pleasure they get from this indulgence is beyond my comprehension.
However, the most important issue that arose in my mind was the condition that these people end up with after having so much of daaru and dope. I always thought that these things help people forget stuff and enjoy some higher state of joy or excitement. However, to my great discontent, I saw some people indulging into dispute and asinine activities which I never saw them doing in sanity. A few others were totally out of their mind and were just clutching their heads. And then there is pressure of others not to sleep or rest but to stand and stay till the end which makes thing worse for these people. A few others would wake up tomorrow morning feeling all dizzy with a headache. Really very few in my opinion will wake up w/o thinking - 'I won't touch this thing again in my life'.
If done in control, I think this stuff won't come as bad as it came today with a few of us. I lack experience with this yellow liquid (or for that matter, the grass) and therefore might be wrong in my observation. Daaru lovers might want to highlight my mistakes which they are whole-heartedly welcome to do. Accept my apologies by default :-).

2 comments:

Anshu Anand said...

hey ..this is not allowed ...you can't just observe a bunch of people having booze ..& yourself not have it & then form an opinion out of it ....U will always end up havin the opinion you made.Drink the stuff yourself ..only then can you form an opinion...if you don't like it then ...there is an OPINION ..I can Value ..You have to Jump into the water ...to realise whether swimming is good or not :)...all this my opinion ...anyways ...Peace !

Kumar Dosi said...

Hmm, pretty correct and thats why I had apologies in advance so as not to disappoint Booze Greats like you :-P. I would visit some more drunken orgies and form some more concrete opinion. Dont wish to jump in this river though :-P